Tuesday, September 27, 2011

THE MAKING OF GOALS


In my first real job after college the head honcho of the organization I worked for insisted that each and every one of us construct a set of "Goals, Objectives and Standards" to better focus and to know where we intend to head and to know when or if we have gotten there. It seemed to me at the time (and a bit yet today) rather over-the-top. But I did it. Every summer I would sit down and make goals and objectives (the smaller goals within goals) and a set of standards (measures of success or failure - deadlines, numbers, etc.). And, to my astonishment, they worked - even though I constructed them, sent a copy of them to headquarters, stuck my copy in a drawer and never gave them another thought.

Something happens in our very spirit when we are able to visualize where we want to go and how we're going to get there and how we will know whether we've arrived. Our subconscious goes to work MAKING it all happen.

Looking back, I realize that it all could have been accomplished easier if I hadn't hidden them in a drawer and let even my "conscious" self work on them too.

Today - Make a goal for the day (or week or month or year). Break it down into smaller increments. Think about just how you'll know when you've accomplished what you were after. You'll be surprised at what happens - and rather delighted, I believe.

No comments: