Friday, August 19, 2011

Do What You've Got To Do


I heard yesterday of a man who drives truck for a living. He’s been doing it now for about six months. And he is happy to be doing it. Three years ago he was a computer geek. I don’t know exactly in what capacity, but he worked in the hi-tech world of computers. He lost his job and wasn’t able to find ANYTHING in his field for the next two years. And it’s not as though he is not motivated. He’s got a mortgage and a family to feed – all the expenses that come with living today. He sent out a zillion resumes. He made phone calls until his ear hurt. He went to networking opportunities. He tried everything. Then one day he saw an ad on the back of a big rig advertising a truck driving school.

“Why not?” he said to himself. “I’m certainly not making progress in my current path. My wife may not be too happy (except that I’ll be bringing home a paycheck). My father-in-law, the millionaire orthodontist, will feel vindicated – he always though I wasn’t good enough for his daughter. My kids will be embarrassed that their dad is doing something so pedestrian. But maybe this is what I am supposed to be doing right now.”

So he enrolled in the school, learned to drive and is rolling along the highways even as you read this.

It may not be truck driving, but it may, indeed, be something you never dreamed of doing that is awaiting you. All you need is a bit of inspiration, a bit of motivation, and the willingness to do in this life what needs to be done to get what you want to have.

Go for it!

No comments: