Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Live in Peace


I received an email from a nephew who is spending a year studying in Israel. He started it like this: “I'm sure you've heard about the recent terrorist attack on Friday, March 11, when an Israeli family was massacred in the West Bank…”  

I hadn’t. I haven’t, even now, heard a word about it. To find out details I had to do a Google search. And it’s true. Five people – a mother and a father and three children were killed in their sleep by terrorists in the West Bank. The provocation: They were living there and some deranged souls were angry about Israeli actions against Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. There was no allegation that the dead adults nor their under-10 aged children were involved in those actions. They, apparently, just seemed to be easy, non-threatening targets.

I don’t get it. I’m pretty sure most of  us don’t. Why can’t people just love one another? Or at least tolerate one another? Why can’t humans coexist in peace if not harmony? How can even the most illogical conclude that the killing of innocents is justified?

We’ve become callous to it. Hatred is just so common that we don’t even report its evil outcroppings any more.

Today – Pray for peace – in Israel and everywhere.
Today – Be at peace with whomever you meet.

1 comment:

Miriam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.